Monday, February 4, 2008

The Jesus Creed 40 Day Challenge--Accepted!

The Abbess is joining Scot McKnight and the tribe over at Jesus Creed for 40 Days Living the Jesus Creed for Lent...starting on Wednesday.

For those of you who have not read Scot's book, The Jesus Creed, I've included it here from his original post:

Here it is:

Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.
The second is this: Love your neighbor as yourself.
There is no commandment greater than these.



Scot has a new book coming out in a month or so with this same title, not necessarily meant for Lent, but for any time.

The Jesus Creed resonates with me strongly because it is at the heart of both cHesed and Covenant. Taking 40 days to intentionally bring these words and the resulting actions into our lives is a wonderful foundation from which to strengthen one's discipleship.

Here's the rest of the Scot's challenge, which I've divided into the three separate steps:

I am asking you to begin and end each day of Lent (beginning Wednesday) by reciting the Jesus Creed.

And, whenever it comes to mind throughout the day, I am asking you to recite it again.

In your evening recitation of the Jesus Creed, we are asking you to give some moments of recollection to confess any sins against the Jesus Creed throughout the day.


So there you have it. I'm going to be making up a number of 4x6 cards with this printed on it and place them at strategic places so that I'll see them throughout the day.

I'm looking forward to what God will be doing in the hearts, lives and neighborhoods of those of us who embrace this challenge.

Go with God!

1 comment:

AbiSomeone said...

Actually, I ended up making business cards instead of 4x6 cards...and I also made a journal for the experience. If you're interested in either of these Word documents, I'd be happy to e-mail them to you.