Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Abi's Lent: Day One

Well, I hadn't intended to wake up at 3:45 this morning (if I had done so on Tuesday, I could have had one of Scot McKnight's books for free ;^) ), but the first thing that popped into my mind was The Jesus Creed--so I said it in my heart, along with a prayer for returning to sleep.

Sleep did not come for a long while, so I had plenty of time to ponder Lent and The Jesus Creed. I ended up repeating it a number of times before I got back to sleep. Fortunately, the boys had a two-hour late start for school, so waking up at 8:30 was not catastrophic. God, as I often say, helps me because I am so pathetic.

After everyone got off to school, I picked up Scot's book and read chapter one. Had some great thoughts about "love" ... and had to do a little word study to see just which word for "love" was used in these two passages (Deut. and Lev.) -- it was ahab. I could spend my entire day, every day, doing word studies!

Of course, Scot's definition of "love" was so much like my definition of cHesed, that I had to make that note in my margin. And then I went on to study the word ahab and notice that one of the synonyms for it is cHesed. Not surprised at all. I'll be pondering this more.... but it's late and I've got to get to sleep (and, hopefully, stay asleep).

I did, however, have to stop and mourn the horrible irony of the sullying of this word for outrageous love by that most notorious King of Israel: Ahab. Sigh....

I'm not sure whether I'll post every day, but I just might ... so stay tuned! It's not too late to join us for the 40 Days of Living The Jesus Creed Challenge. Check out the tools I designed here.

Go with God.

No comments: